Just because we’re natural mamas doesn’t mean that we don’t care about beauty. And I for one want to have a great smile with white teeth.
But Crest Whitestrips Don’t Excite Me
Using conventional whiteners or going to the dentist for pricey whitening treatments isn’t something I want to do.
These treatments usually involve hydrogen peroxide or a similar whitening agent. And, while those ingredients are not necessarily toxic, they can cause gum irritation, tooth pain, and overall sensitivity. If these treatments are used excessively, teeth can become porous and enamel can break down (source).
Enter Activated Charcoal Teeth Whitening
This super absorbent material contains millions of tiny pores that bind up poisons, chemicals, and even intestinal gas and safely remove them from the body.
Activated Charcoal is Crazy Powerful
One teaspoon of activated charcoal has the surface area of about 10,000 square feet! (source)
In fact, most hospitals have activated charcoal on hand for poison control. And most mamas would be wise to have this supplement on hand in case of an accidental overdose within the home. (Of course, always seek medical care to be sure all of poison has been removed from body!)
Many People Take Activated Charcoal if They Ingest Allergens
I know people who use this supplement if they ingest allergens such as gluten or eat low quality food on the road, as it helps them reduce intestinal distress.
Because of its absorbent nature, it’s important to take activated charcoal 4 hours away from food, supplements, and prescriptions. It’s also not recommended as a daily supplement.
Activated Charcoal Also Helps Whiten Teeth!
How can activated charcoal help whiten our teeth? Well, that same absorbent quality, which can bind up poison, can also pull out stains, bacteria and toxins from our mouths.
It might sound weird, but many traditional societies used twigs and charcoal as their main way of cleaning and caring for their teeth. (source)
And this stuff works! In fact, you can even add some loose charcoal powder to your oil pulling routine for a daily cleansing and whitening boost.
“You Use Black Charcoal to Make Your Teeth White?”
Yes, it seems counterintuitive. But trust me. The black powder will wash away (although it is a bit messy), and you will be left with whiter teeth.
Here’s a video that walks you through the process.
What You Need for Activated Charcoal Teeth Whitening
- 1 old toothbrush (or one you don’t mind getting black)
- 1 capsule of Activated Charcoal (I use this brand)
- A cup
Activated Charcoal Teeth Whitening Directions:
- Wet your toothbrush well.
- Place toothbrush on top of a napkin, piece of toilet paper, or paper towel.
- Gently twist open your activated charcoal capsule.
- Carefully empty activated charcoal powder onto toothbrush
- Start brushing! It will be a little bit “powdery” at the beginning, but your saliva will soon take over and spread the powder everywhere. You could also add a small amount of toothpaste to your toothbrush and dip into the charcoal powder if you prefer.
- Gently brush for 3 to 5 minutes. Spit periodically into your cup, rather than sink. This will make clean up easier!
- Rinse your mouth well with water. Be sure to brush your tongue too with water as it will be black 🙂
- Dump your spit cup into the toilet and flush.
- Clean any excess powder residue on your sink with a baby wipe.
How Often Do You Use Activated Charcoal Teeth Whitening?
I recommend doing once daily, three days in a row.
For more deeply stained teeth, brush with activated charcoal five days in a row. Then don’t do again for a few months.
In my mind, doing this routine about once a season is a good frequency.
How About You?
Have you tried activated charcoal teeth whitening? What do you do to whiten your teeth naturally? Share with us!