Are you hip to the neti pot? Here are step-by-step instructions on how to use this ancient and awesome little tool.
I turned my husband on to the neti pot years ago, and he’s used one two times per day ever since! Thanks to the neti pot, he was able to stop taking all of his allergy medicine. This is HUGE for a daily Claritin user like Michael.
Recently, I’ve had sinus headaches and, at Mike’s prompting, I started using the neti pot again.
And what do you know? Like magic, I’m feeling way better!
This is the perfect type of natural remedy in my book. It’s cheap, it’s easy, and—yep—it’s totally natural.
What is a Neti Pot?
A neti pot is considered a personal hygiene product. The purpose of a neti pot is to flush out the nasal cavity to clear it of mucus and other debri that can cause discomfort and congestion.
How to Use a Neti Pot: A Quick Video Demonstration
Here’s an oldie, but a goodie. Watch my husband Michael, aka Papa Natural, demonstrate how to use his beloved neti pot, the ancient nasal irrigator that’s been around for thousands of years.
How to Use a Neti Pot: Step-by-Step Instructions
- Fill your neti pot with warm (but not hot!), potable water. Some people will tell you that your water needs to be distilled or boiled, but my ear, nose and throat specialist advised that any tap water that is safe to drink is also safe to use in a neti pot. Bottom line: You don’t need to go out of your way to reap the benefits, so why bother?!
- Add a bit of sea salt and let dissolve. We keep a jar of sea salt by the neti pot and use a pinch of it each time. After dropping in the pinch I’ll give the water a swirl with my finger to help the salt dissolve.
- Use your neti! Insert the spout of the neti pot’s into one nostril and tilt your head to the side. Tip the pot up so the saline solution pours into your sinus. The fluid will flow out of your opposite nostril.
- Pour half the saline solution through one nostril, then switch sides.
- Repeat if necessary.
- Blow your nose afterwards
- Use the neti-pot once or twice a day as needed.
- Breathe easy, mama!
Where to Buy a Neti Pot
Neti pots—though not widely discussed—are incredibly popular products. You can purchase a neti pot at Walgreens, CVS, or any other local drugstore. You can also easily order a neti pot online at places like Amazon.
Here’s the Neti Pot That I Recommend
My husband and I both use this ceramic neti pot by Sattvic Path. It’s one of the top rated neti pots on Amazon, because it’s handmade in Europe and comes with a lifetime guarantee—even if you break it by accident. That’s a pretty good value, huh?!
Sattvic Path BEST Rated Ceramic Neti Pot – Ergonomic Design and Hand-made, Dusk Red
Neti Pots for Kids
Rhino Horn Junior Neti Pot Nasal Cleaner
Neti pots are safe and effective for kids as young as two.
We love the Rhino Horn Junior Neti Pot, because it’s specifically designed for children, meaning its 2/3 the size of a regular neti pot to fit comfortably in a young kid’s hand. It also has a smaller and longer tip that’s better suited for a child’s nostril.
Rhino Horn Junior Neti Pot Nasal Cleaner demonstration
The biggest hurdle is convincing kids to try it! Explain the benefits, then let them watch you use your neti pot. You can also show them how-to videos on YouTube of other children using the neti pot. They’ll be a pro in no time!
How About You?
What do you think of the neti pot? Are you a believer? Or do you fall in the other camp and refuse to try one? I want to hear all about your experiences, so share with me in the comments below!