Super popular. Super delicious. And super EXPENSIVE! A bottled chia seed drink can cost $4.00! Here’s how to make your own for a fraction of the cost.
They’re super popular. Super delicious. And super EXPENSIVE! A 10-ounce bottled chia seed drink costs $4.00! That’s more expensive than kombucha, gasoline, and even champagne.
That’s why I’m going to show you how to make your own chia seed drink for a fraction of the cost.
Video: Chia Seed Drink Recipe
Homemade Chia Seed Drink Ingredients
- 1 cup of the juice of your choice
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds (I prefer these organic ones)
How to Make a Chia Seed Drink
- Warm your water, put in a cup and add the chia seeds.
- Stir until the chia seeds are evenly dispersed and start to swell.
- Cover and put cup in the refrigerator. Let sit overnight. The next day, your chia seeds should be blown up in size and totally gelatinous. Your “water” should now be a thick gel.
- Mix 1 cup of your chia seed gel with 1 cup of the juice of your choice, stirring well.
Note: This recipe yields two servings.
How to Eat Chia Seeds
My chia seed drink is a great way to incorporate these healthy seeds into your diet. A chia seed drink is the perfect snack, since it has natural sugars that, combined with the fat and protein of the seeds, will hold you over for hours.
But there are plenty of other ways to get your fill of chia seeds:
- Sprinkle chia seeds on yogurt, smoothie bowls, and oatmeal
- Make a chia seed pudding
- Mix chia seeds into baked goods, like muffins or pancakes
- Sprinkle chia seeds on sliced fruit or salads
- Add to homemade ice pops
Where to Buy Chia Seeds
Now that you know how to eat chia seeds, you probably want to know where to buy chia seeds.
- You can stock up on chia seeds at virtually any supermarket or health food store.
- You can also get your favorite variety at a number of online retailers, including Amazon.
The best organic chia seeds
For the best chia seeds, opt for an organic variety. This is my favorite brand of organic chia seeds. They are USDA certified organic and non-GMO, plus come in BPA-free packaging.
Whole chia seeds vs. ground chia seeds
When shopping for chia seeds, opt for whole chia seeds. The nutritional integrity is better protected in the whole version of the food, making it the best choice.
Health Benefits of Chia Seeds
You may be wondering if eating all these chia seeds is doing your body any good. The answer is absolutely.
Chia seeds have:
- More omega-3s than salmon
- More potassium than bananas
- Tons of antioxidants
- and more calcium than milk
Chia seeds are also a complete protein and naturally free of gluten. And unlike flaxseeds, chia seeds are very shelf stable and not prone to rancidity. (That means you can save some money by buying in bulk!)
What’s more, studies suggest chia seeds have wide-reaching health benefits, including reduced blood pressure, more stable blood sugar levels, reduced inflammation, and greater weight loss.
Get The Top 10 Chia Seed Drink Recipes
Love my chia seed drink? Download the Top 10 Chia Seed Drink Recipes below — a special gift just for you!
How to Make Your Own Chia Seed Drink Cheat Sheet