Whether it’s dumping snow or unseasonably warm, I think we can all agree that a tropical smoothie just tastes great. I love this recipe because it includes extra nutrients (aka spirulina and avocado) and yet kids love it!
It’s so thick, you need to eat it with a spoon and the flavor centers around my favorite kind of fruit. TROPICAL. Something about the creamy coconut and avocado blended with the sweet yet mellow mango and banana makes my taste buds sing with happiness.
My body also hums on this smoothie because it has a wonderful balance of carbohydrates and healthy fats so no blood sugar crashes. It is also loaded with enzymes and antioxidants, nature’s housekeeping crew, so it’s a great “detox” breakfast after a night (or a few days) of heavy eating.
And for extra brownie points, babies LOVE this smoothie. (Well, at least Griffin does and he has a picky palate so I think I can deduct that most babies will love it too!)
Here’s a video of me and baby Griffin making it 🙂
Tropical Spirulina Smoothie Ingredients
- 2 cups of chopped mango, preferably frozen
- 1 frozen banana, without skin
- 1 c. coconut milk (You can use my DIY recipe. If you use canned, try Trader Joe’s brand or Native Forest since they use BPA free cans.)
- 1/2 avocado
- 1-1.5 teaspoons of spirulina powder
- For more protein, you can add Collagen Peptides or vegan Pea Protein (OPTIONAL)
Mango Spirulina Smoothie Directions
- Coarsely chop your frozen banana and put into blender with 1 cup coconut milk. Puree until fully blended.
- Add your mango and puree until fully blended.
- Add your avocado and spirulina powder and puree until fully blended.
- Pour into cool cup and enjoy with a spoon!
Whip one up and let me know how you like it!
How about YOU?
What recipes do you feel healthy eating?