I’m excited to have my friend Celeste back with this delicious recipe that’s great for folks with food allergies. It’s gluten, dairy, egg and nut free! (But you would never know it 😉
Variety! They say it’s the spice of life but did you know that it’s an important nutritional practice? By rotating our foods regularly, we consume a wide variety of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, phytonutrients, enzymes, and so on.
In that same spirit, this recipe uses teff, which is commonly used in Ethiopian cooking, and the world’s smallest grain that’s naturally gluten free and is packed with iron, calcium, and protein. Add in the zucchini with its high vitamin C and potassium content and this makes for an indulgent yet nutritious treat.
Healthy Chocolate Zucchini Bread (gluten/dairy/egg/nut-free)
- 1 ¾ cup teff flour (where to buy)
- ¼ cup arrowroot powder (where to buy)
- 6 TB. cacao powder (where to buy)
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups zucchini, grated (no need to peel)
- 1 cup maple syrup (where to buy)
- ½ cup coconut oil plus extra for greasing loaf pan (where to buy)
- ½ cup applesauce
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
Bread pan like this works best but you can use any size.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Put the teff flour, arrowroot powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a bowl and mix to combine.
- Mix the zucchini, coconut oil, maple syrup, applesauce, and vanilla together in a separate bowl.
- Combine the dry and wet ingredients and mix well or toss all ingredients into a high powered blender or food processor until a smooth batter.
- Pour into a greased loaf pan and place in the oven.
- Cook for 45-55 minutes checking for doneness.
- Let cool in pan for at least 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.