Learn how to DIY an essential oil spray that makes a great cleanser and supports your immune system naturally.
My dear friend, and fellow crunchy, gave me this spray many years ago. I loved it instantly. Since that time, I’ve used essential oils more and more in my daily life. And once I got the Young Living Premium Starter Kit, I knew I wanted to find a way to DIY thieves spray. It’s less expensive, and I can control exactly what I put into the solution.
What Is Thieves Spray?
Inspired by a Middle Age tale of four thieves who used a special concoction of aromatic herbs to support their health, Young Living created an essential oil blend to mimic their creation. Today, it’s one of their bestselling oils. And for good reason! This proprietary essential oil blend was university-tested for its cleansing abilities. Plus, it’s highly effective in supporting the immune system and good health.
DIY Thieves Spray
Ready to learn how to make DIY thieves spray?
What you need for DIY thieves spray:
- A 2-ounce dark glass spray bottle, like this one (Note: Always opt for a dark glass bottle—the dark color protects your spray from degradation and glass will hold up better than plastic over time.)
- 1 teaspoon organic witch hazel, like this one
- 10-15 drops of Young Living thieves oil (where to buy)
- Almost 2 ounces of distilled water
How to make DIY thieves spray:
- Add 10-15 drops of thieves oil to the clean glass spray bottle.
- Add witch hazel, the top off with distilled water until full. (Note: To make transferring your ingredients easier and eliminate spills, try using a small stainless steel funnel.)
- Secure the spray top and use as you see fit.
That’s it! As you can see, DIY thieves spray is very easy to make at home.
How to Use Thieves Spray
While you can diffuse thieves oil or apply topically with great results, thieves spray is a great option for tasks around the house. It’s also a handy thing to have while traveling. And if you’re looking for a great gift for a natural-minded friend or family member, thieves spray definitely fits the bill. (Check out other great homemade essential oil recipes here.)
Use this DIY thieves spray to:
- Clean baby and toddler toys
- Freshen car seats, strollers, and other baby seats/carriers
- Spray on public restroom seats
- Wipe down cutting boards
- Spray your mop before cleaning the floors
- Freshen furniture, carpets, and other upholstery
- Wipe down countertops and other kitchen surfaces
- Wash fruits and vegetables
- Freshen gym bags and gear
- Clean bathroom surfaces, the tub, and the shower
- Spray in shoes to reduce odor
- Clean airplane armrests and serving trays
- Remove musty or heavy food odors from rooms
The uses for this spray are really endless—it can even get gum out of a child’s hair and help prevent lice!
Are You Interested in Essential Oils?
If you’re just getting started, check out this explainer on essential oils.
How About You?
Have you ever used thieves spray? How do you use it? Do you like it? Share with us in the comments below.