Do you know that jello can be a health food? Well, if you make it the Mama Natural way it can be.
Conventional Jello is filled with artificial ingredients. Here’s an easy recipe to make it yourself and turn that junk food into a healthy and natural superfood that kids will love.
How to make jello the natural and healthy way video
How to make jello: what exactly makes jello gel?
It’s gelatin, which comes from hides and bones of animals. I know, it sounds kinda scary but trust me on this one.
High in anti-inflammatory amino acids like glycine and proline, gelatin helps your nails and hair grow fast and strong, promotes restful sleep, improves memory and learning and even has antitumor properties!
The gelatonius nature helps soothe the intestional tract while assisting digestion.
Let’s face it, eating jello is FUN!
What’s not so fun is the conventional jello on the marketplace. Filled with sugar, artificial flavoring and dyes, not to mention their gelatin comes from animals that are fed improper diets and given hormones. No thanks!
But, we can create our own homemade jello and bring back all of the healing and medicinal properties while making it taste YUMMY.
Get some good gelatin
Before you begin making, you’re gonna need a high quality gelatin product. Knox gelatin at the store ain’t gonna cut it.
You’ll probably have to order online as there are only 2 brands I recommend… Bernard Jensen and Great Lakes. Both of these are hormone free, all natural bovine gelatin.
You’re also gonna need some tasty fruit juice! Grape, orange, and cherry are all lovely flavors for jello. You can mix and match as you see fit or with what’s in season. (NOTE: Do not use raw pineapple juice as the enzymes in the fruit will prevent the Jello from setting.)
How to make jello: healthy jello ingredients
- 2 cups of juice, preferable organic and freshly made or “not from concentrate.”
- 2 TB of gelatin (I like this brand)
- Raw honey, coconut nectar or stevia (here’s my favorite stevia)
- 1/2-1 cup of raw fruit or 2 TB of fruit rind (optional)
- Top with raw cream if desired
How to make jello: healthy jello directions
- Pour your juice into a saucepan.
- Add in 2 TB of gelatin and stir until the gelatin is dissolved.
- Turn on heat to medium and let simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Turn off heat and let sit for 1-2 minutes. Don’t let it sit long or it will start to clump.
- Stir and taste. Add and mix in sweetener if you desire.
- Pour mixture into a jello mold (any glass bowl will work… even ice cube trays!)
- Put jello into refrigerator and let sit for at least 3-4 hours. Better to leave overnight.
Serve and ENJOY your natural, healthy jello!
Interested in more gelatin recipes and tips?
Here are all my posts on gelatin, including a bunch of fun recipes for kids of all ages.
How about YOU?
Did you like jello as a kid? Have you figured out how to make jello that is healthy?