Like the miracle of a rainbow after a storm, a rainbow baby is one that is born after pregnancy loss. Rainbows don’t erase storms, but they symbolize HOPE.
After the turmoil and darkness of a storm, when light breaks through the clouds, sometimes we are lucky enough to see a rainbow.
What is a rainbow baby?
Like the miracle of a rainbow after a storm, many mamas refer to babies born after loss as their rainbow babies. The rainbow doesn’t erase the storm, nor does the arrival of a new baby eclipse the tragedy of previous pregnancy loss.
The rainbow sends a message of beauty, promise, and hope to those who see it.
How to Celebrate Your Rainbow Baby
Many mamas choose to celebrate their rainbow baby pregnancy in a special way, including:
Amazing Rainbow Baby photo by JoAnn Marrero on Mama Natural
- Maternity photoshoots. One of the most famous of these photoshoots was done by photographer JoAnn Marrero. The amazing photo (above) captures the joy of mama-to-be Jessica, who suffered six miscarriages before posing for this image with her rainbow baby.
- Sharing birth stories. More and more women—sometimes called rainbow mamas—are sharing their birth stories about becoming a mother after loss. In doing so, they are pulling a topic that has long been considered taboo out of the shadows.
- Wearing rainbow apparel. Today, there are many mamas on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram sporting rainbow tee shirts to acknowledge their pregnancy losses while building solidarity with a struggling community.
- Buying rainbow apparel for their baby. There’s tons of great apparel for rainbow babies. You’ll find everything from onesies and swaddles, to loveys and toys.
- Decorating the nursery. Some mamas go all out with a completely rainbow-themed nursery, while others made a subtle nod to it by building rainbow bookshelves or adding one small, but special rainbow detail.
- Having a themed baby shower. A colorful baby shower is another great way to celebrate a rainbow baby on the way.
- Having a rainbow-themed newborn photoshoot. Lots of rainbow mamas buy special swaddles to outfit their rainbow babies in and hire a photographer to capture their precious miracle.
- Getting a special tattoo. Not for everyone, of course, but some mamas mark the special occasion by getting a rainbow tattoo after baby is born.
Introducing the world’s first
week-by-week pregnancy guide
from a natural perspective! – Book Promo [In-article]
National Rainbow Baby Day
Of course, there’s plenty of reason to celebrate your sweet rainbow baby every day of the year, but there is a specific day dedicated to lifting up these little miracles.
August 22 is National Rainbow Baby Day.
Rainbow Baby Quotes
C.S. Lewis Quote
Somewhere Over the Rainbow Song Lyric
1 Samuel 1 27-28 Verse
Rainbow Baby Gifts
Looking for some special to give a rainbow mama or baby? Check out these rainbow baby gifts.